Monday, January 19, 2009

The Honeymoon is almost over.

It seems strange to me that they call the beginning stages of Diabetes the "Honeymoon" stage. I guess they think of a Honeymoon of being bliss and near perfect since you were just married and all. Thinking of it in terms of Diabetes doesn't seem so blissful and perfect. In fact the last 2 months of my life would be anything but. I am guessing that a pancreas that works a little bit and can help with some insulin every now and again is a good thing, but that is about all that I can think of that would be partially perfect with this crazy disease.


Well we got the word the other day that the Princess is coming out of her Honeymoon stage. I kind of figured with the way that her numbers have been lately. We have been making some adjustments but they don't seem to be helping yet. They will work soon I am sure. This news I could say is a little bitter sweet since the back up of a partially working pancreas is always a little better. The thought of her being totally broken is a hard pill to swallow. Oh I wish I could just put a band aid on it, kiss it better and it will all work again. The reality of her having diabetes is so real right now. We feel we don't have control over anything. Yes, my life is consumed with her numbers, her insulin, her carbs and what ratio is going to work best.


In the midst of all this we had a wonderful play date the other day with a little boy that also has diabetes. He was diagnosed just the week before her. They were so excited to meet each other! We had such a wonderful time there too! It was so great for these two to meet, they both really needed to see that they are not alone and that there are other kids just like them. I couldn't be more grateful for this family right now. I know that we just met, but I feel that we will have a connection that if Princess or I feel down about diabetes then we can get together and know that life is great still. And that is really what matters anyway.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello!


I believe this is my first time visiting you're site but it certainly won't be the last! I looked through you're pictures on the other blog (and this one) and they are amazing! I was so impressed that I was wondering if you'd be willing to take some for me? I sent you an e-mail about it.

Lucas
lmitchell0012@yahoo.com

EngineeringNerd said...

They playdate seems like a great idea!