Tuesday, March 13, 2007

My Grandma and me!

This is a picture of me and my grandma taken many, many years ago! (Aren't I cute?) My dad sent this picture to me tonight and it got me thinking about my grandma and I thought that I would share. This is the grandma that might share a birthday with my little boy if he can hold out until the 28th. There is a very special bond that my grandma and I share, and this is proof that it has gone back many years!

I am actually named after my grandma. I am not going to share what our names are, but I will say that they are so close, that when written I almost think that it is repeating the name twice. Who knew that when I was named after her that our lives would be very similar. Who knew that she would have so much influence on me.

When I was in high school I moved into an apartment with a friend. It was one of those things where my parents said that "while under our house, you will obey our rules" and I took it very literally. While living there, one of the few people that I felt I wasn't being judged by was my grandma. She called ALL the time just to talk. In fact I think that she knows more about me and what happened in that time than anyone else does. We were able to open up to each other, and I really felt like I could share all of my secrets with her. It was crazy to hear of some stories of her life. It truly seemed like I was reliving parts of hers. We talked once a week, and every time we would talk I would feel so safe, and so much better. She never gave up hope for me, and never once did I feel like I was judged or that I couldn't trust her.

Fast forward a few years, and we still talk every single Wednesday. Just to say "Hi" or "I love you." There have been times that when she is having a hard time, I am the only one that she will answer the phone for. She sends me letters, and gifts just to make me laugh. We truly have a connection that is pretty great!

In two weeks is her birthday. It happens to be on a Wednesday (our special day). I couldn't think of a greater gift to give her than a great-grandchild to share her birthday. She means so much to me. I am grateful for her love and for her laughter, for her prayers and her support! I hope that this little guy (or even me for that matter) can hang out until then. I know that I don't even have to try to be her favorite, but if he is born on her birthday I think that it would be pretty set into stone that I am!

If you ever read this grandma, please know that I love you very much!



4 comments:

Anonymous said...

With this family, odds are that your little guy will be born on Grandma's birthday.

It seems rare that someone in our family doesn't share a birthday with someone else in the family.

Kat said...

That was a wonderful post! I too am a grandmas girl. Itis so imporant that girls have stong loving women role model in their lives.

gini-k said...

So fun to read your blog...I am going to redo mine and will let you know when I have a new one up and running...

alisonwonderland said...

fabulous photo! thanks for sharing!