Saturday, March 08, 2008

I am tough!

Spring is coming up fast! And boy am I grateful! Every spring I start to think about mountain biking. We used to go so much. I miss it a lot and hope that we will be able to go this year. When I start to think about mountain biking, two trips come to mind. One that was a totally awesome experience (you can read more about it here.) where we went on the Wasatch Crest Trail. It is a 26 mile long trail that started in Big Cottonwood canyon, went over into Park City, then across the peaks into Mill Creek Canyon and out. It was amazing! The second ride was just too funny and one that I wanted to share.

Mill Creek Canyon is a quick and easy ride that we used to do all the time. It was good for getting your mountain biking trip in on a busy Saturday morning. We would park one car at the bottom of the trail and shuttle up to the top. The trail is actually pretty flat even though you are riding down the canyon. That is until you get to the last part of the trail called Rattlesnake. It is called that because there is nothing but switch backs that wind down the mountain to the parking lot at the bottom. It drops something like 750 feet in 3/4 of a mile. It is a little bit intimidating for your first time, it seems pretty steep. Actually in most of the reviews I have read about it everyone agrees that it IS pretty steep.

Well, right after we were married (seriously it was like 2 months) we decided to take a trip up there one Saturday morning. This was one of the first times I had been on the trail. I had done the first part just fine, but when I got to Rattlesnake I wasn't doing so fine. At the switchbacks I had to get off my bike and walk around each turn. After that we came to a place that has tree root steps in the ground. One going down right after the other like a staircase. Before I knew that you have to clench your cheeks (ah hem) and sit as far back on your seat as you can when going down hill, I would get pretty scared. Since we were JUST married I wanted to impress my hubby and just go for it. I watched him go down. He stopped at the bottom and turned to watch me go down. I started to go. I don't really know how it all happened, but after the first step I lost control and went head over handle bars and went down the rest of the tree steps on my head and shoulders. When I stopped I was pretty entangled in my bike. I caught a glimpse out of the corner of my eye of my hubby running to me. He didn't just run over and ask if I was ok. He ran over and drug me out from under my bike like my bike was on fire. He sat there and just held me and asked over and over if I was ok. I was REALLY banged up, but I was fine. I had scraped up my entire arm from my wrist to my elbow that was bleeding pretty good (I still have a scar) I had two scraped knees, bruises every where, 7 out of my 10 well manicured nails had been totally ripped off my finger tips, dirt from here to there, and my ego was totally shattered. What a moment.

My hubby's main concern was how was he going to get me down the rest of the trail (in no way were we done with the worst of it). I was more worried about how I was going to get my nails fixed for my very important job interview that next Monday. I got on my bike and conquered the rest of the trail. When we got back to the car my hubby said that it would be ok if we decided to never go down that again. I don't remember how I responded at the time, but it had become my favorite spot to go. I can't tell you how many times my hubby has told me that he is proud of me that I got on the bike and have conquered that tree staircase. Not just that once but MANY times since. And every time we talk about it I tease him that he drug me across the trail like my bike was on fire! What a great guy!

And in case you were wondering...cuz' I know you are...I went to my interview TOTALLY banged up and with my 3 remaining nails. I didn't get them fixed. I did get the job though.

1 comment:

Samantha said...

Ok, this is totally off subject, but that Christmas morning shot (in your flikr slideshow) of all 3 of your darling kiddies is to DIE for. Seriously one of the cutest Christmas pictures I've ever seen. Anyway, had to share.