Thursday, April 09, 2009

The "Office"

If we lived out in the middle of nowhere I am pretty sure that I would have to start calling my hubby Farmer "T". Kind of like Mr. T but only a little more redneck. On second thought maybe I will start calling him that anyway.
You see he has this love of gardening that has just been getting bigger and bigger every year. Even more so since we moved into this house and have the backyard the size of Nebraska (Hi Gena! Miss you!) The entire North side of our back yard is nothing but garden. Our awesome friend Holly gave Trevor her old greenhouse, that we now call his "Office", and is now located over there too. This has been great for making his garden starts, but bad for ever seeing my hubby.
It had been awhile since I had been out there (dang spring snow!) so I thought I would put on my shoes and head out there yesterday. Plus I figured that if I ever want to see my hubby I need to meet him in the "office" cuz he ain't comin' out till dark.
This is what I saw! I guess I can't make fun of Farmer "T" anymore. This very well might be the only way we will be eating come the fall.



Check out the "Office". Pretty cool huh? FYI, this is where my chickens live too. I was forbidden from taking pictures of the coup until it has been cleaned again. Maybe next time folks.


Let me explain what you are about to see here. When Trevor started planting stuff in the ground he had a feeling that the snow wasn't done yet (see natural born farmer) he had an idea to use our recycled materials to help the little seeds survive. Let me tell you, it worked! We have had several inches of snow in the last few weeks and these little guys are still sprouting!


You can't see it here, but there really are starts under there! Little Man was pretty amused! I was too, but I was a little more impressed with this sweet moment I caught between the two of them!
So I have a feeling this won't be the last we see of this garden. Wait till I show you his love of canning! Anyone else remember when he made strawberry jelly out of 40 lbs of strawberry's 2 weeks after the Little Man was born? Just so you know, the jelly only lasted us a year!
Now here is something fun that I just thought of. Since it is time for most people to be starting their garden maybe it will be fun to have my hubby answer any gardening questions you might have. So if you can think of anything that you need help with or need ideas leave a comment and I will have him guest post. Let's think of some good ones, he is a character and I am sure you all want to meet him. Right? RIGHT? (LOL! He is going to kill me!)
So ask away. If he doesn't know it he will go to the gardening master, my Grandpa, and find out the answer for you! Happy Spring people!

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

you are so lucky to have a man with a green thumb like that!sooo cool!

EngineeringNerd said...

Wow, Impressive!

TravelMama said...

YAY! I need help! I want a tiny vegetable garden. Problem is, it's only partial sun and I have no idea what I can grow without full sun. And do I need to dig out all my clay and put in all new fresh soil, fertilizer, etc.? I've been wanting to do this for 3 years now and get frustrated because I don't know what to do. I don't want to waste my time and money on something that I feel will inevitably fail (like a bunch of other beautiful plants I've killed). Can you help???